Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU) is extending 5 scholarship opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in GBSN member schools from developing countries. Qualified candidates are invited to apply for the WU Scholarship for the 2020 International Summer University ISU WU , an intensive short program, which provides students with an excellent opportunity for international education.
ISU WU takes place twice during the summer, in three-week sessions and offers students the possibility to deepen specific knowledge in business and enrich their social and cultural experiences.
The application period for Summer 2020 cohort is February 15 – March 31, 2020
General Information and Goals
The International Summer University WU (ISU WU) is an intensive short program, which provides international students with an excellent opportunity for international education. The ISU WU takes place twice in summer in three-week sessions (one three-week session in July and one three-week session in August) in Vienna and offers courses for both undergraduate and graduate students.
A large variety of business-related courses are taught by a team of experienced lecturers of WU and colleagues from partner universities hailing from the entire globe. The main objective of the program is not to provide basic knowledge, but to deepen specific knowledge in business. Visiting local companies and solving practical case studies in intercultural groups complements the strong theoretical basis. An exciting social and cultural program effectively complements the summer university.
Courses are designed to be highly interactive and a priority is placed on group discussion and teamwork; students complete pre-course assignments in order to have the qualifications necessary to start the course on the same level. The team of instructors consists of WU lecturers as well as renowned, international guest lecturers.
The undergraduate program consists of two intensive courses, which are taught consecutively over the course of 3 weeks, each course lasting one and a half weeks (Monday to Tuesday and Wednesday to Friday). These intensive courses are held in the mornings and total 8 ECTS-Credits.
The graduate program consists of three intensive courses, which are taught consecutively over the course of 3 weeks, each course lasting five days (Monday to Friday). These intensive courses are held in the mornings and total 9 ECTS-Credits.
Courses cover topics related to
- International Business
- International Marketing
- International Human Resource Management and Leadership
- Strategic Management
- International Finance and Sustainable Management
- Negotiation Management
July 6 – July 24, 2020
February 15 – March 31, 2020
July 27 – August 14, 2020
by April 30, 2020
The ISU WU offers social and cultural activities in order to provide students with opportunities for intercultural exchange between students and cultural enrichment through in- and outdoor activities in Vienna.
These activities include Opening and Closing Ceremonies, which are always an integral part of the ISU WU and are held in the ceremonial halls of the WU Campus. Traditionally, an International Cultural Evening is held each year, in which students are asked to bring their colleagues closer to their home country in any creative way they can think of, including presentations, clothing, as well as food and drink from their home. As part of getting to know Austria, students are invited to a traditional Austrian “Heuriger” wine tavern, a genuine piece of Austrian culinary culture.
These events and many more social and cultural activities are organized by the ISU WU team, in order to make the students’ stay in Vienna an unforgettable experience.
Scholarship for High Potentials from Developing Countries
As a strategic focus of WU, undergraduate and graduate students studying at GBSN member schools in developing countries are invited to apply for a WU Scholarship for the ISU WU.
Candidates from the following countries are strongly encouraged to apply:
WU will extend up to 5 scholarships. The following services are covered as part of the scholarship:
- Business courses with an international perspective
- Use of library, computer labs, eLearning services, and language resource center
- Company visits and guest speaker sessions
- Grade certificate
- Course materials
- Lunch (Monday through Friday on lecture days)
- Accommodation in a students’ residence hall off-campus*
- Internet access on campus and in residence halls
- Public transportation ticket within Vienna
- A travel grant of up to 500 EUR
- Sightseeing tour Vienna
- Cultural events in Vienna: Vienna State Opera (planned, but subject to availability) or an alternative event
- Opportunities for intercultural exchange through the social and cultural program
- Information on student-friendly weekend packages for exploring Europe, entry fees are to be paid by the students themselves
- Support of the ISUWU team
- Opening ceremony
- International cultural evening
- Evening at a viennese wine tavern
- Farewell evening
Applicants are selected for the scholarship based on the quality of their application documents and their previous academic performance.
The WU scholarship is non-recurring, i.e. students may only participate in ISU WU once on scholarship. Moreover the number of available scholarships is limited.
Students interested in participating in the ISUWU have to complete the application process which is illustrated further below.
Requirements for Graduate Students
- Current enrollment in a master’s or MBA program (or equivalent) with a specific focus on business administration and related areas
- OR a bachelor degree in a business major
- excellent English language skills
Requirements for Undergraduate Students
- Current enrollment and completed minimum of one year undergraduate education with a specific focus on business administration and related areas
- excellent English language skills
Applicants interested in participating in the International Summer University WU need an excellent command of the English language. The English language requirements can be found at ISUWU Language Requirements.
GBSN scholarship students are required to submit an essay. Please upload this essay together with all other application documents. Download the essay guidelines.
- Read the application instructions below and gather the supporting documents (for a complete list of documents please see the application documents section below). We strongly advise students to gather all necessary documents before submitting the online application form.
- Read the Guidelines and Data Protection for the International Summer UniversityWU.
- Access the online application system, fill in and submit the online application form (step 1 in the online application system) by March 31, 2020.
- Upload all required supporting documents (step 2 in the online application system) and press submit to complete the online application process.
- Students will be informed about the outcome of their application via email by April 30, 2020.
If there are any technical problems, please contact the program manager Ms. Sarina Gludovatz (email@example.com) until March 31, 2020.
In order for the application to be successful, applicants must upload all necessary application documents, demonstrate excellent command of the language of instruction (English), and meet all the requirements specified in the course description. All documents that are not issued in English or German must be provided together with an adequate translation into English or German. We advise to gather all supporting documents before starting the online application process. Only files less than approximately 2MB are allowed to be uploaded. (Allowed filetypes: jpeg, jpg, png, bmp, gif, doc, docx, pdf)
To apply for the graduate program please upload the following documents:
To apply for the undergraduate program please upload the following documents:
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION & ADMISSION
- Confirmation of receipt: All students who complete the online application process on time, will receive an automated email confirming that their full application has been received by the responsible WU coordinator.
- Admission decision: All applicants who complete the online application process on time will be informed about the outcome of their application via email by April 30, 2020. The official acceptance letter will include further instructions on the payment of the participation fee. The applicants’ place on the ISU WU program is only guaranteed once we receive the payment. As soon as the payment reaches the ISU WU account, accepted applicants will receive a letter of confirmation.
- Allocation of courses: During the online application process, students are asked to rank the available courses according to their preferences. Please note that there is no guarantee getting a place that corresponds to the preference for a course. We try our best to accommodate students’ preferences, but due to the limited number of places this is not always possible.
- Information package prior to arrival: In May all accepted students will receive a so-called ISU WU Pre-Arrival Guide with useful information and details about the summer program. The participants will also be informed about the pre-course assignments required for their courses.
Ms. Sarina Gludovatz
Program Management, International Short and Summer University Programs (ISUs, ISUWU, Vienna IPWU), International Office
T: +43 1 31336 4314
Ms. Mona Wagner
Staff Member, International Short and Summer University Programs
(ISUWU, ISUs), International Office
Tel: +43 1 31336 4974
WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business)
Welthandelsplatz 1, Building LC
1020 Vienna, Austria