OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
FSD Africa seeking climate finance principal. This Principal, Innovative Climate Finance role will lead the innovative green and climate finance interventions, with focus on catalysing, supporting innovation and scale up of green and climate finance transactions across Africa.
The Principal, Innovative Climate Finance will have an opportunity to influence strategy and develop a portfolio of innovative transactions. The role will support transactions in the collaborative initiatives around natural capital and carbon markets with transactions being developed to the point developed at which they are funded by the market (with or without the involvement of FSDAi).
The role will lead in the identification of Africa market priorities, appreciate market needs and requirements, and determine opportunities for capital markets pillar to contribute to transformational change and improvement. The job holder will be accountable for the development and implementation of projects working directly with implementing partners and consultants in the delivery of the projects and ensuring the successful management of FSD Africa Capital Markets strategic and operational interventions.
In addition, the role will provide thought leadership in the green/climate finance, providing strategic and tactical advice to partners and external stakeholders and driving the transformation of capital markets through effective influencing, advocacy, and communication. He/she will be responsible for managing complex projects with a team of Senior Specialists and consultants and will be a credible coach for the external stakeholders.
To apply for the role, your resume and cover letter, must be received by 5.00pm on Thursday, 31 August 2023
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- Thought Leadership & Strategy Development
To participate in the development of strategy and programmes for the Capital Markets pillar and support the Risk & Resilience, Digital Innovations and FSDA Investments pillar strategies on innovative climate finance:
- Act as a thought leader in the creation of financing structures or vehicles that are able to channel finance to underserved parts of the green economy; translate strategy into impactful operational plans and tactics.
- Ensure regular engagement with other experts & decision makers in Africa countries to understand the strategic priorities for the development of capital markets.
- Lead FSD Africa’s research into innovative climate finance; developing a deep and comprehensive understanding of the financial systems in Africa and how to leverage beneficial change.
- Pay attention to personal professional development and learning in order to remain an expert in the fields of Capital Markets Development
- Contribute to the development of strategy for the Capital Markets pillar; ensuring that insights in innovative climate finance are incorporated into the design and development of relevant theories of change.
- Lead the development of tools, methodologies, and approaches (IP) which will guide the team and stakeholders in implementing best practice in innovative climate finance market development.
2. Pipeline & Portfolio Development
- Provide strategic direction and oversight to the transacting process; ensuring that the pipeline evolves and results in a regular flow of transactions that get to market.
- Conceptualise, design and write investment proposals including results measurement and risk management frameworks.
- Following approval, develop detailed implementation plans; including budgets and procurement of consultants / implementing partners as required.
- Ensure the effective implementation of projects so that milestones of the project plan are achieved on time and to standard.
- Lead monitoring, risk mitigation, results management, and learning for all projects being implemented; ensuring objective analysis of results and appropriate corrective actions as required to optimise FSD Africa’s beneficial impact.
- Provide high quality technical advice and support to Implementing Partners, Consultants, and other project stakeholders in Innovative Climate Finance
- Ensure comprehensive and timely communication with all project stakeholders.
3. Financial management & fundraising
Ensure sound financial management of Innovative Climate Finance by securing, managing, and safeguarding programme finances; ensuring that the practice achieves optimal financial efficiency, value for money and impact, all the while ensuring compliance with FSD Africa and donor policies.
- Identify opportunities for fundraising and co-funding for the work of FSD Africa & support with proposal development as requested.
- Conceptualise how funds and other limited resources may be best allocated to achieve optimum impact; including supervising the work of consultants to optimise value for money.
- Track and monitor budget spend and associated activities ensuring cost effective utilisation of resources and timely achievement of financial targets.
- Ensure that the accountability requirements of donors are met and that good relationships with funders are maintained at all times.
4.Influencing & Communicating for Impact
Drive the transformation of capital markets through effective influencing, advocacy, and communication strategies:
- Clarify the ways in which achievement of FSD Africa’s objectives depends upon influencing the mindset or behaviour of others (e.g., Investors, investees, policymakers, end-users & other stakeholders); lead the development, implementation, and results-measurement of an innovative Communications & Influencing plan.
- Take the lead in stakeholder mapping for the Innovative Climate Finance, identifying key decision makers / power brokers and develop innovative ideas for influencing them and/or transforming their mindsets.
- Design and publish industry thought-leadership materials, particularly in Innovative Climate Finance
- Contribute to the development and implementation of FSD Africa’s Communications Plan, building FSD Africa’s web presence, supporting thought leadership activities (publications, briefing notes, case studies, conference presentations), co-ordinating events, seminars etc.; establish us as a leading voice in Government Debt Markets thinking and knowledge.
- Participate in networking events and/or convene stakeholders in order build awareness and influence the thinking around how Government Debt Markets contributes to capital markets development.
5.Implementing partner engagement & capacity building
Support the Director of Capital Markets in identifying, engaging, and empowering key implementing partners; so that they are equipped to operate effectively and contribute to the development of their respective Capital Markets:
- Ensure appropriate selection of partners; ensuring optimal combinations of partners to bring out their synergies for the programmes e.g., political economics, due diligence, influence, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with senior leaders in chosen implementing partners, leveraging new opportunities that may arise and dealing promptly with relationship difficulties.
- Engage partners in joint strategizing and the development of projects that will leverage change and have a positive impact on capital markets development.
- Work with implementing partners to assist them in implementing their projects according to agree upon project plans, maintaining a strategic clarity, focus on impact, and collaborative approach at all times.
- Review the Monthly/Quarterly Development Impact (DI) reports for any allocated projects and take appropriate action on the basis of results and analysis:
- If desired results have been achieved, initiate strategies for widespread awareness-raising and ‘crowding in’, focusing on applying leverage, replication of the project, and scaling;
- If desired results have not been achieved, either manage performance of the implementation team or adjust the strategy/approach.
- Identify, report on, and mitigate project risks in a timely manner (project delivery and partnership management).
6. Team Leadership and Unit Management
Lead the practice area in effective and efficient planning and management of programs and resources to deliver excellent standards of service delivery.
- Build and lead the innovative climate finance team of staff and consultants in a manner that empowers them to add value to FSD Africa and deliver high standards of performance.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the practice area work plans, budget, and program implementation.
- Plan and organise the work of the department.
- Manage the team and consultants, towards high standards of performance through clear roles and responsibilities, on-going feedback, and appraisals. Pro-actively address performance issues through timely constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships across the areas of practice of the Capital Markets pillar and others to identify needs, opportunities for collaboration, communication, and reporting.
- Ensure the delivery of an engaging leadership style that motivates team members and results in high performance.
Carry out any other duties or special assignments as assigned by the Management.
Qualifications and Education
- Master’s degree and 12 years of experience or Bachelor’s Degree and 14 years of experience in the areas of technical specialism, including at a senior level, in a financial markets’ environment.
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English
Essential Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- A deal originator by temperament and experience – 7-10 years of transacting/raising capital/deal origination.
- Having good networks across financial intermediaries and other stakeholders in Africa; well connected to the global DFI community and to mainstream investors.
- Track record of managing relationships and influencing key stakeholders at leadership or specialist level
- A good understanding of how the full spectrum of finance providers relate to, and complement, each other (private sector asset managers at one end through DFIs to donors at the other) – and able to facilitate their involvement.
- Highly collaborative by nature – hungry for success but a committed team player working for the success of his/her colleagues.
- Significant experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative and trusted relationships with investors, investees, implementing partners, private sector players and government counterparts.
- Demonstrated track record of rigorous project management skills and achievement of results – a finisher of tasks, not a process manager.
- Ability to manage project portfolio of significant budget.
- Ability to manage project diversity and complexity
- Ability to manage significant complexity and conceptual sophistication
- Successful track record of delivery of results in the area of technical specialism and the provision of technical assistance
- Understanding of the development world and strategic MRM (preferred)
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge of donor policies and procedures
- Previous experience of working in FCDO-funded projects
- Languages: French, local African languages
To apply for the role, your resume and cover letter, must be received by 5.00pm on Thursday, 31 August 2023
About FSD Africa
FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to build and strengthen financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa. FSD Africa is incorporated as a non-profit company limited by guarantee in Kenya. It is funded by UK aid from the UK government.