Employment Opportunity: We are seeking a highly qualified and experienced Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Data and Information Management Specialist to support our data, information, reporting, and system management functions. The specialist will work within the Strategic Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (SPMEL) Unit and be responsible for ensuring effective data collation, synthesis, analysis, visualization, and reporting to enhance the organization’s MEL processes.
The primary objective of the specialist is to manage the data quality assurance process, provide technical expertise, and support data management, data analysis, and information systems to facilitate evidence-based decision-making and enhance the organization’s MEL.
Apply by August 25th, 2023
TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Data and Information Management Specialist
Unit: Strategic Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
The MEL Data and Information Management Specialist will be responsible for delivering results in line with the commitments we have made in our Strategy 2030: Moving Mountains and our Medium-Term Action Plan V (2023–2026): Embracing Change and Accelerating Impact.
The specialist shall fulfill the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support designing, operationalization, and management of the institution-wide integrated results data management and reporting system.
- Regularly update data into searchable public results dashboard showing progress: for example, stages to outcomes, impacts, and annual milestones; information on our publications, bibliometrics, and Altmetric scores; and information on our partnerships and capacity-building data
- Ensure that all reported results are substantiated by evidence and subjected to quality checks through the management of the quality assurance system, and (as needed) develop marks of data quality.
- Integrate findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable (FAIR) data principles and work towards alignment with the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) standard.
- Develop and implement data standards as per the MEL Framework in line with global standards like FAIR.
- Design and maintain the ICIMOD results dashboard, databases, data entry systems, and data quality assurance procedures.
- Analyse collected data, identify trends, patterns, and key findings, and prepare summary information and graphical inputs into reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that key cross-cutting issues, in particular gender and social inclusion (GESI), are adequately represented in ICIMOD data, including quality assurance of reporting, but also paying attention to cross-cutting issues such as climate and biodiversity.
- Develop data visualisation products, including charts and graphs, to present MEL findings in a user-friendly and accessible manner.
- Provide guidance and training to staff on data collection protocols, data management procedures, and information system utilisation.
- Ensure compliance with data protection and privacy regulations while handling sensitive data.
- Collaborate with SPMEL team members to integrate data management and analysis processes into overall monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Design and manage external consultancies as required to support the work.
- Stay updated on the latest developments and software for data management and analysis techniques and technologies, including big data, and recommend improvements to enhance the organisation’s MEL practices.
Minimum qualifications and experience
- A master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. statistics, information management, data science) with five years of relevant experience
- Proven work experience (minimum three years) in MEL, specifically in MEL frameworks, indicators, and data collection methodologies
- Proven experience (minimum five years) in data management, analysis, and reporting within the context of monitoring and evaluation
- Proficiency in data management software and tools (e.g. Excel, SPSS, R, SQL) and experience with database management systems
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to interpret complex data sets and communicate findings effectively
- Experience in developing and implementing data visualisation techniques and tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI)
- A strong team player, with excellent coordination and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of data protection and privacy regulations and experience in handling sensitive data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to train and mentor staff on data management and analysis processes
You will be working in a cross-cultural, impact-oriented environment at ICIMOD’s head office in Kathmandu, Nepal. Occasional travel in the HKH region will be required. Kathmandu is a lively and exciting place to live. People are friendly, living costs are comparatively inexpensive, food is delicious (with a range of local and international cuisines), and there are good local and international schools and a low crime rate. Nepal offers amazing trekking trails, white water rafting, and safaris, combined with a rich culture and charming yet lively nightlife.
Three years, with a probation period of six months. There is a possibility of extension subject to performance and ICIMOD’s future funding levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before August 25, 2023 (11:59 PM Nepal Standard Time) through ICIMOD Vacancy Application Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
We are ICIMOD, a unique intergovernmental institution leading the global effort to protect the pulse of the planet – the HKH – and the people, resources and culture that define it.