HKUST Business School
Hong Kong, China
Founded in 1991, HKUST Business School is young, innovative and committed to advancing global business knowledge. It strives to contribute to the economic and social advancement of Asia and the world by developing future leaders who possess an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit as well as a strong sense of responsibility.
The School has forged an international reputation for world-class education programs and research performance. Its partnership program Kellogg-HKUST Executive MBA has been ranked No.1 worldwide for the ninth time by the Financial Times, while its home-grown HKUST MBA has been ranked among the top 20 for the tenth consecutive year. The School is one of the first business schools in Asia accredited by both AACSB and EQUIS.
Dean: Professor Tam Kar Yan
GBSN Main Ambassador: Professor Steven J. Dekrey, Associate Dean
With a strong commitment to innovation and an extensive global network, our School has nurtured over 27,000 business professionals and leaders. Our full suite of degree programs, including undergraduate, MBA, EMBA, MSc, PhD as well as a wide range of executive education programs, stay at the forefront of education and receive global recognition.
- In 1998, the School collaborated with the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, to offer the Kellogg-HKUST Executive MBA program, which provides a premier educational experience for senior executives.
- In 2001, the School launched its Bachelor of Business Administration in Global Business (GBUS) program. Designed for highly proficient and motivated students, the program features a flexible curriculum with hands-on learning opportunities to empower students to pursue varied careers.
- In 2007, the School launched the HKUST-NYU Stern Master of Science in Global Finance program in partnership with the Leonard N. Stern School of Business, New York University. It is the first executive master’s degree program on global finance in Asia Pacific.
- In 2013, the School partnered with University of Southern California in the US and Bocconi University in Italy to pioneer a business degree program – World Bachelor in Business (WBB). The program aims to nurture future global business leaders by providing an unparalleled multi-campus, cross-continental learning experience.
- In 2017, the School teamed up with Yale School of Management and HEC Paris to launch a portfolio of dual-degree master’s programs (M2M). The M2M partnership framework provides a unique opportunity for students to study at two universities in two countries in MSc in International Management or MSc in Global Operation. The programs have been further expanded with partnership with FGV EAESP (Sao Paulo) UBC Sauder.
- In 2018, the School partnered with the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO to launch the HKUST-SKOLKOVO Executive MBA program for Eurasia.
Current Partnerships with GBSN Members
Ways the institution will support the GBSN mission to improve access to quality management and entrepreneurship education for the developing world.
As a partner with a new business school in Russia, HKUST Business School is upgrading quality and improving access for a region unfamiliar with the benefits of world-class management education.
Description of how the institution plans to contribute to the network platform in the first year.
As a new member, our School plans to engage with the membership and participate in activities to determine how best to contribute. With our global reach, we expect our ability to participate globally will be an asset to the network.
Description of ways the institution hopes to engage with fellow GBSN member institutions.
HKUST Business School represents GBSN fellow members’ outpost in Hong Kong. We will welcome them to visit us and benefit from our network in the region.
“It is a great honor for HKUST Business School being part of the GBSN network, which brings leading business schools around the world together to foster collaboration and exchange ideas. I look forward to seeing members learn from each other in nurturing talent and paving the way for the future of business education.”
– Professor Tam Kar Yan, Dean of HKUST Business School
Excellent Proximity to Mainland China
Students at HKUST Business School are provided with many opportunities to not only experience a unique fusion of East and West, but also excellent proximity to Mainland China.
The School has developed a portfolio of activities for its programs and research to contribute to the development of China. With a focus in support of the China-led Belt and Road Initiative and the Greater Bay Area, these activities look to advance business knowledge and meet the new demand for talent in China and other burgeoning markets in Asia.
For examples, our faculty is undertaking a research project on “Trade and Investment under One Belt One Road and Implications for Hong Kong”. This study will provide valuable evidence-based insights to help Hong Kong formulate optimal trade and investment policies. Our School also collaborated with the Moscow School of SKOLKOVO, an institute within the scope of the Belt and Road, on research and academic exchange.
With a total population of over 70 million, the Greater Bay Area comprises the two Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macao and the nine municipalities in Guangdong Province. The development of the Greater Bay Area is accorded the status of key strategic planning in China’s development blueprint. HKUST is preparing to open up new cross-border cooperation with a view to enlarging its footprint in the Area.
In 2018, HKUST signed agreements with the Guangzhou Municipal Government and Guangzhou University to establish a new campus in Guangzhou. With its first phase to open in 2021, the new campus twice the size of the present one in Hong Kong will expand HKUST’s intellectual capacity and bring forth tremendous synergistic benefits.
HKUST-SKOLKOVO Executive MBA – the first-of-its-kind EMBA with a focus on business in Eurasia within the framework of the Belt and Road Initiative. Launched in 2018, the partnership program encompasses six international modules in the US, China, Israel, Kazakhstan, Switzerland and Russia. Offered in a part-time mode over a period of 17 months, the program aims to provide advanced education in leadership and management to corporate leaders and entrepreneurs targeting or doing business in Eurasia.